Thursday, February 28, 2008

Choosing Colors for Data Visualization

I just found out today that one of my client's is Tone Blind.  I have heard of tone deaf people (I'm one of them) but this was a new thing to me.

Apparently she can't see certain shades or text with fills.  This just goes to prove that accessibility is in the eye of the beholder, and there are no good presentations, only the appearance of good presentations for certain audiences.

Color used well can enhance and clarify a presentation. Color used poorly will obscure, muddle and confuse. While there is a strong aesthetic component to color, using color well in information display is essentially about function: what information are trying to convey, and how (or whether) color can enhance it.

Choosing Colors for Data Visualization

No comments: